Albany will play their first game of the 2012-2013 season in Albany on November 9 against Duquesne. When they take the floor, the Great Danes will be hoping to at least meet the expectations left over from their 2011-2012 campaign. They need to overcome the loss of 36% of last season's minutes with the added contributions of two incoming freshmen.
Albany will experience their biggest drop-off on offense, as the team lost 48% of their scoring. That's followed by assists, where they drop 41.5% from last season.
Albany finished last season with a record of 18-13 overall and placed 4th in the America East regular season with a conference record of 9-7. In the postseason, the Great Danes were booted from the America East tournament by Stony Brook, 57-55. The Great Danes will go without Gerardo Suero (31 MPG), Logan Aronhalt (transferred to Maryland), and Ralph Watts (16 MPG).
The Great Danes welcome back senior Mike Black (13.4 points/game), senior Blake Metcalf (4.4 points/game), junior Luke Devlin (5.7 points/game), senior Jayson Guerrier (6.6 points/game), and junior John Puk (2.2 points/game).
The Great Danes pick up incoming freshmen including 6-4 Peter Hooley and 6-5 Chris Page. Also joining the team are 5-9 junior DJ Evans, 6-6 junior Gary Johnson, and 6-8 junior Dave Wiegmann.
The Great Danes schedule includes one game against an AP preseason Top 25 team, at #4 Ohio State on November 11th. Albany will begin their America East campaign on January 2nd against Maryland-Baltimore County.
Tags: Gerardo Suero
- Since 2002, Albany has an overall winning percentage of 45.7%.
- The Great Danes have an average conference finish of 5.0 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 13 the team has an average finish of 4.9.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 235.8.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Ohio State (#6).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Binghamton (#344).
, Logan Aronhalt
, Ralph Watts
, Mike Black
, Blake Metcalf
, Luke Devlin
, Jayson Guerrier
, John Puk
, Peter Hooley
, Chris Page
, DJ Evans
, Gary Johnson
, Dave Wiegmann